In this episode, we will talk about the damage that narcissistic abuse provokes to our brains. Although what happens to us in abusive relationships is considered brain damage, I’ll add a caveat right away and clarify that this damage can be reversed. In fact, you can start living even better than before. We will begin by understanding what happens in our minds when we are abused, what parts of the brain are triggered by the abuse, and how we can recover from it.
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
– What kind of brain damage narcissistic abuse produces
– What happens when our mind goes from “online” to “offline” mode
– How the hippocampus and the amygdala affect how we feel and how we react to abuse
– What we can do to reverse the damage produced by narcissistic abuse
The traumatic experiences we go through in our childhood leave marks, or self-worthiness wounds as we call them. Those wounds are the reference our brain has to do its primary job of keeping us alive. Our brain will always pick what it considers the less painful option, even if that means staying in an abusive relationship. Understanding this is crucial to see that our system is trying to protect us, and for us to become curious why it considers abuse less dangerous than other options.
– Join my Narcissistic Trauma Recovery Programme https://go.carolinestrawson.com/heal-the-trauma-of-narcissistic-abuse
– Join my Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/thriveafternarcissisticabuse
– Connect with me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carolinestrawson/
– My website: https://www.carolinestrawson.com/