Today, I want to talk about a subject that divides the trauma, counselling, and psychology world: the label of narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). I’ll share my opinion on the challenges and dangers of labelling NPD. We’ll talk about and compare three different approaches – the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the Internal Family System approach, and my own, Narcissistic Trauma Informed approach.
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
– Why I consider over 35 traits in order to recognise NPD and not only 9 like the DSM
– Why labelling and medicalising NPD almost feels like excusing the narcissistic behaviour
– Why we consider narcissistic traits as an umbrella protecting self-worthiness wounds
In many cases of narcissistic abuse, I’ve witnessed how the victims tend to see narcissistic abuse as a reflection of them. What happens is that when we have self-worthiness wounds from our childhood, we believe the narcissist “is right” abusing us because we see ourselves as unworthy or unlovable. That is why I love to share this knowledge, because we must know that the abuse is happening TO US, not because of us.
– Join my Narcissistic Trauma Recovery Programme https://go.carolinestrawson.com/heal-the-trauma-of-narcissistic-abuse
– Join my Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/thriveafternarcissisticabuse
– Connect with me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carolinestrawson/
– My website: https://www.carolinestrawson.com/