In this episode, we will discuss a controversial topic – can narcissists be cured? To answer this, we will consider two antagonising positions, those who say it is possible, those who say it can’t be done, and we will also look at the middle ground. Most importantly, we will focus on the things we can change in our relationship with the narcissist.
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
– The issue with labeling narcissists, ignoring the root causes of their disorder, and medicalising them
– The benefits of looking at the situation with compassion and curiosity to ourselves
– What is a narcissist’s main goal, and what triggers their behaviour
– How to change our focus from curing the narcissist to looking at our reactions
Although it might sound shocking to hear, a narcissist’s primary goal is not to be abusive. Their main purpose is to protect their self-worthiness wounds, so they project their protector parts on their abuse victims. As they won’t see or accept this, and they justify their actions, we can’t help them, but we can focus on how we respond to their behaviour, and how we let it affect us.
– Interview with Professor Sam Vaknin, Author of Malignant Self-Love: Narcissism Revisited